Sunday, March 9, 2008

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

I'm not a big drinker of wheat beers...in fact I can't think of a time when I've gone out of the way to really drink one. I'll have a UFO or a random one down at Deep Ellum from time to time, but that's about it. On a recent trip down to Blanchard's I decided to have a go and went for the Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. The Weihenstephaner Brewery (that's the English site right there, helping you out) is the oldest existing brewery in the world, producing delicious beers since mid 700 A.D. So when I saw a bottle of the Hefeweissbier with the label stating "Oldest Brewery in the World," I had to try it out.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
The Hefeweissbier pours a deep orange color with a light, airy head. Taking my small amount of knowledge with wheat beers, the Hefeweissbier tastes like a genuine wheat beer. It definitely has a light earthy taste to it, and alcohol doesn't seem to come on until the end, and even then it isn't very pungent. For a beer that I typically don't drink, I did enjoy it. Would I order one at a bar? Probably not, but that's just because it isn't my style. However, if you like hefeweizens and other wheat beers, I would definitely try the Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, because it is one of the better ones I've had.

Cheers!

No comments: