Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Lower Depths

Enjoy bars with expansive beer lists and the atmosphere of your buddy's basement? Well then The Lower Depths Tap Room might be for you. Fred told me about this bar and said he was heading there for some drinks...naturally I decided to tag along. Located right past Kenmore Square on Comm Ave. (476 Commonwealth Ave.) in the basement of what I believe is an apartment building sits this gem of a beer bar. It feels like someone's basement because, well it is. The ceilings are low just like in a house, and it has a very laidback vibe.

The Lower Depths is one of the few places you could call a strictly beer bar...there were a few bottles of wine accumulating some dust behind the bar, but I didn't see anybody drinking wine. The reason for this is because they do not have a liquor license...and I'm almost positive they aren't running moonshine out the back. But I don't think that really effects the customers going here or the success of the bar.

If I had to take a guess, I would say the beer menu at The Lower Depths had about 100 or so, broken out by country. There wasn't anything on the bottle list that really jumped out at me, but it certainly had a variety. The draught beer selection was also nice, but nothing that really differentiated itself from the bottle list. Just as with some other Boston area beer bars, the prices are a little on the steep side. The one price comparison I have is to The Publick House, and The Lower Depths was more expensive. With all said, if you are looking for some new places to find some different beers in Boston and are getting sick of the same spots, this is definately a good start.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the Lower Depths was more of a hassle than what it was worth. They don't accept ATM cards and they charged 3.50 for a high life. If I am going to spend that much money I rather go to a place that actually has atmosphere. My buddy's basement is a lot more affordable.

Anonymous said...

This place has a list of 100 different beers sorted by country, and you went for a high life?! They should have charged you more just for wasting their time.