Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dogfish Head Obsession

I recently became infatuated with Dogfish Head beers. I've had a fair share of 60 Minute IPAs in the past, but at the Sun WineFest a few weekends ago I was able to sample a range of Dogfish Head beers and talk to the guy running their booth about the beers. So within the past few weeks, I have had been snatching up DFH wherever and whenever possible...a sixer of 60 Minute at Whole Foods...a serving of 120 Minute on draught down at Deep Ellum (which, at 20% ABV, will give you a swift kick for sure). And this week, a lovely lady was kind enough to bestow me with a pack of 90 Minute IPAs for my birthday.

I actually can't remember the last time I was able to appreciate a range of beers so much (namely, the 60, 90 and 120). You can taste the similarities between each upon the first taste, but they have their own complexities which make them so damn good and unique. As I right this I am wishing I had a bottle of each in front of me, but the 90 Minute has gone far beyond filling my needs for a delicious brew.

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
The beer pours amber/gold and rather clear (clearer than I expected), with nice head retention and solid lacing from start to finish. The taste and smell of this beer is pretty complex, with hops evident up front. Upon tasting, vanilla extract seems to come out first, and a trailing taste of licorice finishes. Ticking in at 9% ABV, it is on the boozey side, however the potency doesn't come through too much while drinking. More than the alcohol, the hops will be element that keeps reminding you of what you're drinking. If you are into IPAs I would definitely recommend this beer (and of course the 60 Minute). Since it is an Imperial IPA aka Double IPA, it is on the more potent side, but the drinkability is so good it really is tough to pass up.

No comments: